Tuesday 5 November 2013

The language of the print shop

So, the day of the first art market inches closer and closer! After a few false starts, my pictures are now with the printers and I'm reasonably confident that things should proceed without any further hiccups, although of course, wherever technology is concerned there's always room for things to go wrong, so I won't count my chickens before they've hatched! However, they printed me off some copies of my pictures, only as a laser jet print instead of the all singing, all dancing version that the final ones will be, and I'm really pleased with how they look.
I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to the technical jargon that printers use, which is like a totally different language, but having done a few courses on Adobe Creative suite software earlier this year -the artist/designers holy trinity: Photoshop (the one I use all the time), InDesign and Illustrator - and in conversation with the lovely guy back in Exeter that used to do my giclée prints, I now know a bit more than I used to. So, for example I know that modern print technology is based around printing in the CMYK colour range, which is different from RGB, and as my files were already in CMYK(learnt that on the course!) the bloke at the print shop assured me that their finished versions should look very much like what I saw on my computer screen, and how the laser prints came out. So, judging by the laser prints, things are looking good!
Here's one of the new images I got printed today:
I've also had my first attempt at mounting a piece of my work, which turned out a bit rough around the edges, but generally went OK I think. The mounted artwork is another mini project I'm working on; image transfers (kind of lo-fi home made prints) of my pictures that are then hand painted/ coloured afterwards. That's still very much an on-going project, but I'm quite pleased with how this particular one worked out.                                                                                                                                         
So, so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment