Tuesday 4 February 2014

Vote for Photo Abstracts!

Whew! It's been a while I know, but I can honestly say it's because I've been a busy, busy lady! I'm not sure exactly what all this running around has achieved, but run around I have. First things first. I've tidied up the blog a bit, as you can see. I think it was probably a bit too "busy" before, so I have decluttered a little. Hope you like it!

So, I guess the first and most exciting thing to tell you is that my art is now available to buy online, from two different third party sellers! They are Artfinder and Saatchi Art (formerly known as Saatchi Online.) I was kind of hoping this was going to lead to a flood of orders from around the world, but hey, whaddya know!?, that hasn't happened yet, but I'm hoping to be inundated any day now. I'm selling different work on each site as well, to see if that helps.

OK, so please do go check me out on these different sites. Both are good in their own way - I personally used artfinder to buy my husband a Christmas present (print of Hitchcock made up of all his film titles, as he's a big fan), and I think they were really good. Saatchi has the edge in terms of quality of artists signed up at the moment though, I would say. I could personally spend several thousand pounds on amazing artwork every single time I go there - I'll post some examples of some of my favourites soon. But first, me:

Artfinder: https://www.artfinder.com/hannah-cawthorne

Saatchi Art: http://www.saatchiart.com/profiles/portfolio/id/679404


I partly joined Saatchi Art as they currently have a competition running that I thought it would be good to enter, called Showdown. If you would be so kind to check out my entry and vote for it (only the top 300 as voted for by the public make it through to the next round), you can do so here. There are about 6500 entries in all, and you vote by grading them 1 (bad) to 5 (excellent). You can vote on as many as you have patience for, as once you have voted for mine (which you are going to, right?), they will just keep showing you new entries at random. The top 300 (I guess the one with the highest amounts of 5's) will then go through to the next round. It's actually pretty addictive, getting to pass judgement on loads of other artist's work. (Does that make me a bad person?) It's also just good to see what kind of work other artists are producing right now as well.
 The range of quality in the competition is pretty varied - there's lots of poor stuff, but there's equally loads of really wonderful stuff. I'm perfectly OK with the fact that I'm highly unlikely to make it through. I just hope some of my favourites get through to the next round. That's what keeps me voting, I want to have my say on as many entries as I can. And, I have to say, I think my picture holds its own, even against the best of the ones I've seen so far.


Here is my entry, one of the new batch of pictures that I have just finished editing, from my trip to Budapest last October.




That one just narrowly beat this one into second spot, and is one of several from this new batch that I'm really pleased with:


Of course, in situations like this, you might want to ask, "how do we judge a piece of art?" "Who are we to say that this work is "better" than that?" Well, give the voting a go and you'll soon get your own ideas about criteria. For me, I have my own unique mix of -  what probably aren't entirely objective, but I like to think they are so some extent -  criteria, and my own personal preferences. I'm looking for a good idea, well executed, with some original thought and creativity going into it. But for the top marks, I guess there's no denying my taste is going to come into it a lot, as I'm only giving 5's for things I really love; things I would happily hang on my wall and look at for minutes at a time. And I do have a particular brand of artwork I really like, and which might not be other's cups of tea at all. So I guess personal preference will always come into it when judging art, which makes these kind of competitions really hard to judge on, which is why I'm not too bothered that I won't win! (But maybe, just maybe....)

OK, as usual, so much more to say, but it's going to have to be another time once again! Now go check out that art competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment